On the way to Bodrum Pier from the Airport, lies a hidden valley and a salt lagoon welcoming birds seasonally, surrounded by olive trees and wine yards is where our guest house is. We as owners are a chef and an artist couple, made this place our home and love to welcome guests to enjoy our passion for art and delicous food.
This Turkish cookery course offers a unique opportunity to discover Turkish life where families work together at the orchards to produce olive oil and wines using organic and traditional farming methods.
We will try to show you about the local olive oil and wine production process as well as learning to cook varous delicious Aegean Turkish meals.
Experience Turkish coast and its deep-rooted artistic traditions with painting classes and all the equipment you need to turn your imagination into a work of art.
This is a wonderful introduction to Asia Minor’s rich culture of wine, olive oil, food and art set in the beautiful and relaxing surroundings, a must for any creative food and wine enthusiast aswell as an artist searching for new touches in their art.
- Both the cooking and painting classes are suitable for all levels from complete beginners to experienced cooks / artists
- Your hosts are a Turkish Family with members speaking English and German, our guest artists or chefs will also be sharing their knowledge with you will either speak the language or there will be an interpreter.
- Minimum age 18 for the wine element of the course but children aged 7 or over are welcome to join the olive oil, cooking and painting part of the course if accompanied by an adult.
- A minimum of 2 people must book together on this course for the course to run.
Aegean Turkish Cookery and Painting Holiday Start Days
- This course runs year round.
- Arrivals can be on any day of the week.
Day 1: Arrival
- We will meet you at the airport and will arrive in our house in 10 minutes from the airport
- In the evening you will enjoy a welcome dinner served in our house at the dining room or on the terrace
- Please note that your welcome dinner may not always be taken at the house; it may take place in our restaurant Erenler Sofrasi in Bodrum depanding on your arrival time (B,D)
Day 2: Free Time and Cooking Class
- Enjoy a leisurely Turkish breakfast when you rise for the day
- After breakfast we will get ready for our first market visit to shop for the ingredients of our first cooking class. Your cooking lesson will last around 3 hours and will focus on cooking a 5 course menu of typical local dishes, After the cooking lesson, sit down and enjoy eating the meal you’ve just prepared accompanied by local produced wines.
- Later in the evening we will take you to near by small fishermens village where you can enjoy sea food or a couple of drinks by the sea. (B,L)
Day 3, 4 and 5: Painting Class
- Enjoy a leisurely Turkish breakfast first thing in the morning
- Your painting lesson will last around 3 hours and will take place at the house or in the surrounding hills and villages every day at a different location. Aswell as our guest tutor, our in house artists Mr. Haluk Mutlu formerly an Industrial Designer with a degree from Rhode Island School of Design and Istanbul Academy of Fine Arts will guide you through his painting experience and Mrs. Ayla Ortabaşı who has a classical Miniature and Islamic Arts major from the Fine Arts Academy in Istanbul will help you learn about the classical Ottaman painting arts.
- All materials will be provided to ensure your creativity can be transferred into a souvenir painting of your unique Turkish cookery and painting holiday
- We will have shuttles in the afternoon to beaches nearby for those of you who like to take advantage of being in Bodrum by the Aegean Sea. (B,L,D)
- Lunch and Dinner will be served at our house.
Day 6: Olive Oil and Wine Tastings
- Again, relax over a leisurely Turkish breakfast before joining a walking tour to discover the olive oil and wine making processes at a nearby ecological farm
- You’ll be accompanied by the person in charge of the agricultural production on the estate and you’ll walk through the vineyards learning about the history of the farm, the characteristics of its produce and the methods of cultivation
- After your walk, enjoy tastings of the wine and extra virgin olive oil produced there, combined with home made goat cheese, grapes and snacks.
- In the evening there will be shuttle to take those of you who wish to experience the wibrant night life of Bodrum. (B,L)
Day 7: Graduation & Cruise on a Gulet Yacht
- After our traditional yet breafast we will leave our house to get on board a nice wooden Gulet Yacht to cruise along the bays of the Bodrum peninsula with your teachers of arts and cookery.
- Lunch will be served on the boat.
- In the evening a farewell dinner and exhibition of your art work will be at our fine dine Restaurant Erenler Sofrasi where local art enthusiasts will be invited to view your work and each participant will get a certificate of attandance.
Day 8: Departure Day
- After breakfast guests are asked to check-out of their rooms by 11 A.M. ready for departure taking home with them new cooking and artistic skills and an insight into Aegean life that will stay with them long after the holiday is over.
What Will I Learn?
- About the process of making olive oil from growing to production
- You’ll taste the oils and will aim to recognise the different qualities and grades
- The cooking course will concentrate on the typical Aegean Turkish cuisine mostly vegetables cooked in olive oil in traditional ways aswell as seafood and meat dishes
- At the start of your course, your Chef will discuss menus with you to ensure you cover any particular skills you want to learn during your cookery class
- Skills to recognise and enjoy the wines produced on the estate nearby our house.
- To understand the methods and history of the production in the area since Cleopatra
- Whether you are a beginner, a practising artist or someone wanting to return to your creative routes, you will learn the skills and confidence to boost your personal and artistic development
- You will be taught at a pace suited to you and will learn all aspects of the creative process with an emphasis on how to make art.
- Learn about traditional Ottoman Miniature and decorative arts.
- Check in anytime after 2pm on your arrival day and check out by 11am on your departure day
- Our house is a cosy artists home which offers every comfort of a hotel with the relaxed and easy going feel of a countryside retreat, home away from home.
- Prices are based on 2 sharing a twin or double room every room has its private wc&shower.
- There is free wifi at the house
- Breakfast is included each day.
- Meals as described in the itineary are included
- B – Breakfast, L – Lunch , D- Dinner
Sample Cooking Class Menu
Dishes vary according to the season and what food is available but may include:
- 5 Mezes cooked with olive oil, like chargrilled aubergines salad, romano beans in tomato sauce, kısır ( Tabuleh Turkish Style ), spinach served with magic sauce and strawberries,
- A hot starter vegetable or filo fritters
- A main course
- Wines from the estate are carefully chosen to accompany each dish
- Dietary requests can be catered for including vegetarians if advised at the time of booking